Project Graduation

Project Graduation
My Cousin Jenny: Project Graduation

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Graduation...What You Know About That?

Project Graduation: Week 2

Project Graduation: Jennifer



Well Sunday was January 1st 2012 so like any other individual that decided to celebrate the New Year, I was recovering from the late night. I woke up with a headache around 11 a.m. the next morning and I had no choice but to shake it off because I had a noon shift at work. So I showered, threw on some clothes, and headed back to the mall.

I’m a stylist at Akira-Chicago. So my main focus is making sure my clients look their best because technically, whenever they go out, they are representing me. So my job is pretty much like playing with dolls and dressing them up. The best part of my day, and what actually makes the day go by faster, is actually talking with my clients and getting to know them. You never know who you are talking to unless you ask and I actually engage with a variety of individuals! I winded up meeting another senior May 2012 graduate at Aurora University, who was shopping for herself even though it was her mom’s birthday, a young woman that received the opportunity to travel during the holidays and calls Philly her hometown, and many more interesting ladies.

I winded up being off from work on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday so these days were pretty relaxing. My boyfriend, Darian, and I set down for a second and had a really intense conversation. We talked about our future. The two of us sat in the car for about an hour and just talked. Darian and I have been dating for close to years now but how we met is more interesting than the time we have invested in one another…

In 2010, my sophomore year at Aurora University, I decided to get more socially involved on campus so I joined the Fashion Loves You organization. The group was known for hosting the university’s annual Spring fashion show so it seemed like a great opportunity to meet and mingle with more Aurora University Spartans. Well, in one of our rehearsals in March, the F.L.Y. board made a few announcements and I noticed this guy sitting down on a yoga mat (We were in the student recreation center) with his baseball cap pulled down and over his eyes. So after the announcement I walked over to him and slapped him on top of the cap.

That was pretty much how Darian and I met, as crazy as that sounds. I remember that same summer we went for a walk on a Naperville trail, right off of Naperville/Plainfield road, where we really talked and learned more about one another. Come to find out, we were training for boxing at the same gym, shared the same coach (Shout out to Mr. B!) and never paid attention to one another. We also found out we were both Business Commerce and Marketing majors at AU, and just never ran across one other. So one thing about my relationship, we really believe that 2010 was the right timing for us to really meet and get to know each other.

But in that car, Darian and I winded up sharing something that we were afraid for the other to hear. Even though he is a recent graduate with a B.A. in business, and I am headed for the same thing, we winded up sharing that maybe Marketing is not the path that we want to take. As much as I love the field, I am beginning to discover my passion and love for children, writing, and event planning. So even though we are preparing for our MBA, Fall 2012, I’m not sure if Marketing is my calling anymore…And considering graduation is near that may be a HUGE problem!


  

Project Graduation: Cassandra



This week has been a week full of joys, disappointment, and a hell of a lot of happy moments. Since I last wrote, I have started back my RA life and with this position have come a lot of dedication. This past week has been full of mixed emotions. I was excited to start back school, but was not ready be at school just yet. After coming to the realization that this is part of my job, the enjoyment began. I spent my days in back to back meetings and my nights preparing for the return of Aurora University residents. With this information, my mixed emotions began to resurface. I began to think was I really ready for the start of the semester with a practically new group of young women and personalities?  This was tested yesterday, when I had to encounter a drunken resident and the many problem that come with that; excess noise, boys, throw-up, and spills.  Long story short, I didn’t lose my job, but gained a better insight of how it is to be a mother to an 18 year old. All this was made less overwhelming with the help of “My Marzel”.
With Resident life and continued meetings, I have had to make time for grad applications.  With life after undergrad approaching rapidly, I have been extremely overwhelmed, but I am ready for what the future has to hold, whether it is thousands of miles away or a thousand blocks. This semester as a whole does not appear, as of right now, to be predicatively difficult and I have the feeling that I will be able to handle it, due to the fact that I have been in my internship for over five months now and have been juggling this RA position while still maintaining my 3.7 G.P.A.
With school approaching tomorrow I was able to enjoy my last days with a very good friend of mine. After ending a relationship of three years, three and a half months ago,  I decided that I wasn’t looking for anyone special, just a fling or two (…..I'm kidding..*giggles*).  But I wasn’t looking for anything serious, and wanted to just have fun, learn more about myself, and be the person I felt I lost over the last few years. A month ago I met someone that changed my view on all of that, and I can honestly say, I'm happy… however, my happiness was not caused by this acquaintance, but it has been amplified greatly.
Well looking toward the future I leave you leave by saying…"If you never did you should. These things are fun, and fun is good. ~Dr. Suess".






Project Graduation: Darian


Today is Sunday January 8th, 2012. After celebrating the new year right, it's right back to reality. This past week has been hard hitting to my mind. Everyday I have been waking up stressed. Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative for GOD waking me up another day but, I have been stressing out. As soon as I wake up. The first thing on my mind is my future.

In mid week, about Wednesday, Jennifer and I had a long discussion about our future careers. After conversing and listening to what she really likes, we discovered she loves working with children and likes event planning. I thought it was kind of cool because, she watches the children pageant television shows a lot so I completely support her on what she would like to do. I think she would be great for something in that area. But soon the question was asked upon me.

I have been trying to figure out what career path I could take and be happy. I didn't just want any old job. I want a career that makes me happy. I love business, but just working in that field is not satisfying. After some deep thinking, I came to realize that I want to work with video production. It started when I was throwing events with close friends and colleagues. I would put the video together and we would show it on social networking sites. After doing so many videos and receiving great feedback on my creations, I wanted to work in video production even more. So after Jennifer and I had our conversation, I knew what I wanted to do and where my drive came from. The problem is getting there. How will I get to this career, who will help me learn, and who is willing to give me a chance. After waking up daily and being stressed out, I couldn't take the frustration anymore. I needed to get out of Aurora, and I meant fast.
     
Finally, Friday came and Trevor, one of my closest homies, gave me a call. He asked if I was willing to go on a road trip and I was down for the cause. This opportunity came right in the nick of time. I haven't been away from Aurora in a while, and it was way past due for a road trip. We traveled all the way Champaign, Illinois and we had a pretty good time if I must say. We stayed until Sunday morning and it was time to head home. On the way home, all I could think of was Monday.
       
Monday is January 9th, 2012. This is a very important day for me. IT'S FOUNDERS DAY! This day marks 98 years of Brotherhood, Scholarship and Service provided by the Men of Phi Beta Sigma Incorporated, one of the Greeks apart of the NPHC created in 1914. I couldn't be more happier to be apart of history. G.O.M.A.B to my Blue and White brothers of  Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. Now let's see how Monday and the rest of my week will go…See you next Monday!





Project Graduation: Kiara




No comments:

Post a Comment